VALATIE — In the Section II Class B boys soccer opening round on Wednesday, the No. 7 Ichabod crane Riders edged the No. 10 Catskill Cats, 1-0, in overtime at Ichabod Crane High School.

Both teams came out strong and were looking to settle in and control the tempo of the game. Ichabod won the possession game and moved the ball up the field easily, but the Catskill defense stopped a lot of the pressure, frustrating the Rider’s attackers.

Both teams played the full 80 minutes and ended regulation without a goal. The first overtime period saw much of what we saw in the first two halves. Ichabod Crane controlling the ball, but Catskill creating some chances.

The Riders and Cats completed the first OT still scoreless. Joe Desmonie had enough and just two minutes into the second overtime, he gathered a service ball deflection and was able to knock it past the keeper for the game winner.

The Riders move on to the quarterfinals and will play at No. 2 Greenville on Friday at 3 p.m.

C-A 1, Tamarac 0

COXSACKIE — Tamarac visited Coxsackie-Athens on a unseasonably warm Wednesday evening for a Section II Class B boys soccer first round match and the Riverhawks came away with a hard-fought 1-0 victory on pnealty kicks.

In the first five minutes Tamarac came out determined, and C-A was on its heels, however, nothing serious developed.

Over the course of the next 10 minutes the hosts buckled down and began making runs and started locking Tamarac in their defensive half. It paid off with a penalty kick awarded for a trip. The Tamarac keeper dove right and deflected the ball by C-A and Tamarac breathed deep and began to settle down as they played the ball out.

The remainder in the first half was played in the central third with Tamarac playing hopeful balls over the top trying to spring Rocco DiCarlo. The home side was able to move the ball, but couldn’t find an angle and Tamarac played well in keeping the scoreboard at 0-0.

The second half was played almost entirely in the Tamarac end as C-A continued to move the ball left to right and through, but unable to find an opening.

The game featured a significant number of fouls and challenges as C-A continued to pressure and Tamarac was forced to their heels. The first overtime was more evenly played with Coxsackie-Athens creating chance after chance through the midfield, but the ball played out by Tamarac.

Tamarac was able to create a few opportunities, but they were extinguished before they could enter the final third. The excitement took the lights out with 2:38 remaining in the 1st OT — literally as the field was plunged into darkness for five minutes.

Play resumed and the first OT ended without fanfare. The second OT left C-A seemingly deflated as they could not find the net. Tamarac was understandably relieved as they had been on their heels for much of the game, but were still in the match.

Penalt kicks ensued with C-A making a surprise move and using its centerback Nick Agovino in goal. Through five rounds it was tied 3-3 with the Tamarac keeper making a save on Nick Agovino’s first shot.

As the teams entered sudden death penalties, several underclassmen earned their stripes and hit big shots for both teams as both keepers didn’t touch a ball.

In the 10th round, Tamarac missed wide left as the C-A keeper had it tracked correctly. C-A’s Christian Tedford stepped up calmly and placed the ball right and C-A enjoyed a thrilling 8-7 penalty kick win in the 10th round.

C-A moves on to visit No. 1 seed Mechanicville on Saturday at 5 p.m. in the quarterfinal round.

Greenville 2, Glens Falls 0

GREENVILLE — Greenville hosted Glens Falls in the opening round of the Section II Class B boys soccer playoffs and posted a 2-0 victory.

Glens Falls played hard throughout and held the Spartans scoreless until the second half, however, the Greenville defense was once again solid, limiting shots and held the Indians without a score. Scoring first for Greenville Vinny Davis and a second came from Ben Reinhard. Providing an assist was Joe Davis.

Greenville will host Ichabod Crane on Friday at 3 p.m. in the Class B quarterfinals.

Schuylerville 3, Hudson 1

SCHUYLERVILLE — The No. 3 seed Schuylerville Black Horses defeated the No. 14 seed Hudson on Wednesday night in the opening round of the Class B boys soccer playoffs.

Schuylerville came out and pressed the Hudson defense, but the Bluehawks held strong throughout the half and looked to counter attack. The half would remain scoreless.

The second half saw Schuylerville continue to press and were finally rewarded when Sam Tyler got free and placed one past the keeper.

Ten minutes later, the second goal came off a Lucas Cotrell corner where Balasai Witt headed it in.

Hudson wouldn’t quit and were also rewarded for their effort as Ibrahim Malik placed one over the Horses’ keeper to make it 2-1. Schuylerville continued to possess and finally they were able to put the game out of reach on a Liam Armstrong free kick.

Schuylerville advances to the quarterfinal round where it will host No. 6 Cohoes on Friday at 7 p.m.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.