The history of the Stony Clove, Catskill Mountain and Kaaterskill railroads

Contributed photoUlster & Delaware, Haines Falls

Part 3

The December 1886 St. Louis Globe-Democrat (St. Louis, Missouri) mentioned, “it is proposed to consolidate the Stony Clove and Catskill Mountain Railroad with the Kaaterskill Railroad.”

June 4, 1893, Buffalo Sunday Morning News ran a small story: “At a meeting of the stockholders of the U & D Railroad Company this afternoon that corporation acquired control of the Stony Clove & Catskill Mountain Railroad and the Kaaterskill Railroad.

A Historic Canyon: “The cannon which fired the salute on the arrival of the first train on the Kaaterskill Railroad was in charge of Mr. Schutt, proprietor of the Laurel House, and was a cannon

used in the Revolution. The British left the cannon at Kingston at the time Kingston burned.” (It is now with a Historian of the Revolution).

From an 1884 Brooklyn NY Daily Eagle: “Honorable Thomas Cornell has reserved fifteen acres of the finest picnic ground in the Catskills, near the Kaaterskill Station. It is beside South Lake, and there is a magnificent forest for thousands to while away hours in pleasure.

The paper said, “the elegant railroad station at Kaaterskill is nearing completion. It will excel all other mountain stations in extent and magnificence. The ground about it is being leveled, plants are being set out, and landscaped gardening will delight the eye.”

The Honorable Thomas Cornell was the President of this new railroad.

The Kaaterskill Station, June 1883, had its tracks running from the Tannersville Lake to South Lake, just a half-mile from Hotel Kaaterskill. As the paper said, “from bridges to abutments, culverts, and ties, it is pronounced by inspection to be a good and solid structure, while its cars and coaches are of elegant finish (Jackson Sharpe Company), and the most improved pattern and plan.”

Another article told how the second locomotive received on the Kaaterskill Railroad was named the “Derrick Van Brummel,” an excellent companion to its first “Rip Van Winkle.”

Interesting that a blurb was in the July 28, 1882, Tahlequah, Oklahoma newspaper saying, “All-rail route to the Catskills-the completion of the Stony Clove and Catskill Mountain Railroad from Phoenicia on the Ulster and Delaware Railroad to Hunter, brings the heart of the Catskill Mountains within an easy all-rail ride from New York.

It went on to say that the route is over the Erie Railway and Wallkill Valley Railroad to Kingston, and thence to the mountains by the U. & D. and Stony Clove.

For just under 140 years, the trains ran through the Notch to the rest of the town. Thank you, Lanesville, for your part in increasing the popularity of Hunter, Platte Clove, Tannersville, and Haines Falls. If it hadn’t been for the trains traveling through the Notch, the history of these areas would have most likely been very different.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

Tags

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.