WINDHAM — Quick work by firefighters kept flames from causing serious damage to a condominium in Windham on Saturday.

The fire, which began in a chimney, damaged part of the exterior of the building and caused minor damage to the attic, said Hensonville Fire Chief Tyrel Sherman.

Greene County 911 sent Hensonville Fire Company to Crystal Pond Condominiums at 274 county Route 65 after a passerby reporte flames coming from the chimney.

The good Samaritan also alerted the residents about the fire, enabling them to get out of the house safely before firefighters arrived, Sherman said.

When first responders arrived, they reported the fire had spread to the structure and requested all available manpower to the scene.

Windham Fire Company was placed on stand-by, but were not needed.

An additional water source was established at a pool on the property, but was not needed, Sherman said.

The fire was reported out around 10 p.m. Crews then checked the building to make sure it had not spread any further.

Damage to the home was mostly exterior. There was some minor water damage on the third floor.

The residents were allowed to remain in the home after the fire, Sherman said.

No injuries were reported.

Assisting at the scene were Windham Ambulance, Windham police and state police.

All firefighters were back in service at 11:30 p.m.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.