KISKATOM — A fast-moving fire on Sunday afternoon destroyed a popular wedding venue and bed and breakfast in Kiskatom, said Kiskatom Fire Chief Pete Kusminsky.

There was nothing left of the Kaaterskill Inn by the end of the day, Kusminsky said.

At about 12:26 p.m., Kiskatom Fire Company was sent by Greene County 911 to 424 High Falls Road Extension after receiving multiple reports of a fire on the second floor of the inn.

When the first firefighters arrived minutes later, flames were shooting through the roof of the converted barn, Kusminsky said.

A request was made for mutual-aid from Palenville Fire Department, with all available manpower.

The fire spread quickly to all parts of the building, Kusminsky said.

There were several rooms at the inn that were occupied when the fire started, but all of the guests were able to evacuate the building safely before crews arrived.

There were no pets in the affected building.

A large pond on the property was used as a continuous water source throughout the day, Kusminsky said.

The fire continued to burn for several hours throughout the afternoon. Extensive modifications that were made to the building made it difficult for firefighters to access certain areas, Kusminsky said.

Thick black smoke from the fire could be seen from miles away.

Central Hudson Gas and Electric responded to disconnect power to the building.

High Falls Road Extension was closed to traffic while crews worked.

After the fire was extinguished, an excavator was brought to the scene to tear down what was left of the structure.

An investigation indicated the fire began accidentally, when logs from a fireplace were left on a porch, Kusminsky said.

There were no reported injuries to firefighters.

Catskill and Haines Falls fire companies were placed on stand-by, bur were not needed.

Assisting at the scene were: Catskill Ambulance, Greene County Paramedics, state police, the Greene Countyy Sheriff’s Office, The Greene County Fire Coordinator’s Office, Kiskatom Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary, Gallaghers Garage, and Tool House Construction.

The building that was destroyed, known as the main building, was a restored Dutch barn, and housed the property’s six luxury guest suites, according to the company’s website.

The inn’s rooms were designed with jacuzzi-style bathtubs, spacious quarters, in-suite fireplaces and private patios.

The inn is located on more than 40 acres with sweeping views of the Catskill Mountains.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.