ATHENS — A fire on Friday afternoon caused damage to an Athens home.

One of the home’s occupants was evaluated for possible smoke inhalation as a precaution, said Athens Second Assistant Fire Chief Jim Robinson.

At about 12:50 p.m., Greene County 911 sent Athens Fire Department to 66 N. Franklin St., after the homeowner reported there was a fire in a kitchen wall.

The residents evacuated the home, after calling 911.

When the first firefighters arrived, fire officials reported there was smoke coming from the building, and immediately requested mutual-aid assistance from neighboring fire departments.

Dozens of firefighters from Greene and Columbia counties responded.

Firefighters entered the home and reported that it was filled with smoke, and there was fire burning in the kitchen, Robinson said.

Crews began extinguishing the fire and requested additional manpower respond to the scene.

North Franklin Street and adjacent streets were closed to traffic while crews worked.

The fire was reported to be out about 1:20 p.m. Firefighters then began checking the rest of the home to make sure the fire did not spread.

A pet cat was located by firefighters and was not injured. The cat was secured in an unaffected room.

Other areas of the home received smoke and water damage.

The fire began in the chimney, before spreading to the structure, Robinson said.

The home sustained damage to the kitchen and walls that were in contact with the chimney.

There were no reported injuries to firefighters.

The Village of Athens building inspector was requested to the scene.

The family will be living with friends until repairs can be made, Robinson said.

Fire companies that assisted Athens at the scene include: West Athens Limestreet, Catskill, Coxsackie, New Baltimore and Hudson.

Also assisting at the scene were: Catskill Ambulance, state police, Greene County Sheriff’s Office, and Greene County Fire Coordinator’s Office.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.