LEEDS — Several Greene County fire companies were on the scene of a fire that broke out in a hunting cabin in Leeds on Sunday afternoon, fire officials said Monday.
There was considerable damage to the structure, said Freehold Fire Chief Jim DiPerna on Monday.
The fire began in a large shed that is attached to the cabin and houses a wood stove, DiPerna said.
The occupants of the cabin left the building with a fire burning in the wood stove, DiPerna said. They were not home when the fire broke out.
At about 2:27 p.m., Freehold Fire Company was sent by Greene County 911 to 3966 Schoharie Turnpike, after a caller reported the building was on fire.
The cabin was located on a private road off of Schoharie Turnpike.
When the first firefighters arrived, they reported the structure was on fire and requested mutual-aid assistance from neighboring fire companies.
Crews went to work extinguishing the blaze. Fire officials reported the fire was out after about an hour.
There was some fire damage to the 300-square-foot cabin with smoke and water damage throughout, DiPerna said.
Central Hudson Gas and Electric was requested to the scene.
The Greene County Fire Investigation Team determined that the fire began in a pipe on the wood stove before spreading.
Fire companies that assisted Freehold were Greenville and Earlton.
Also assisting at the scene were: Greenville Ambulance and Greene County Paramedics.
All firefighters were back in service by 4:30 p.m.