CATSKILL — Quick work by firefighters saved a Catskill restaurant Thursday morning.

The McDonald’s, 55 Maple Ave., sustained minor damage and was ordered closed by village Code Enforcement Officer Michael Ragaini.

The fire began in the kitchen’s grill and spread into a wall, Ragaini said.

At about 10:51 a.m., the Catskill Fire Company was sent by Greene County 911 to the restaurant after employees reported the grill was on fire and the building was filling with smoke.

When Catskill firefighters arrived, they reported a working fire and requested mutual-aid assistance from the Athens Fire Department, with available manpower, Catskill Fire Chief John Holt said.

The building was evacuated.

Central Hudson Gas and Electric responded to shut off electricity to the building, Ragaini said.

Fire officials said the fire was out at 11:33 a.m., but they remained on the scene to overhaul the building to make sure the flames hadn’t spread.

No injuries were reported, Holt said.

The cause was likely a grease fire, Holt said.

The restaurant will be closed until Greene County Public Health clears it to reopen, Ragaini said.

The Hudson Fire Department was placed on stand-by during the incident. All fire companies were back in service at 11:57 a.m.

Assisting at the fire scene were Catskill Ambulance and Catskill Police.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.