STUYVESANT — A blaze caused significant damage to a Stuyvesant home Friday, but did not displace the family, officials said Saturday.
A married couple who own 822 Eichybush Road were in the living room Friday night when the wife noticed the chimney did not sound right. The husband went outside to check the chimney and saw the outside wall was burning, Stuyvesant fire chief Steve Montie said Saturday.
Stuyvesant Fire Company was dispatched to the home at about 10:42 p.m. by Columbia County 911.
The fire caused extensive damage to the wall that surrounds the home’s chimney, from the first floor to the attic, Montie said.
The homeowners got out of the house safely. There were no reported injuries, Montie said.
The first firefighters on the scene went to work, fighting the fire inside the home. The flames were extinguished in several minutes, Montie said.
The family made quick, temporary repairs and remained in the home.
The fire began in the chimney, Montie said.
Emergency personnel removed the chimney from the home as a precaution and firefighters checked for hot spots and ensured the blaze had not spread, the fire chief said.
Stuyvesant Falls, Stockport, Valatie, Kinderhook, Niverville and Hudson fire companies assisted Stuyvesant on the scene.
Valatie Rescue Squad, the Columbia County Fire Coordinator’s Office and New York State Police also assisted.
All fire companies were back in service by midnight.