GREENPORT — A section of Fairview Plaza was evacuated Friday afternoon after smoke began filling one of the businesses.
At about 4:25 p.m., Columbia County 911 sent Greenport Fire Department to the Fairview Plaza after Any-Time Home Care in Suite 206, which is located on the second floor, reported there was smoke in the building.
When firefighters arrived, they began checking all of the businesses that were located in that part of the plaza. They also checked the roof.
The origin of the smoke was traced to a catering business at the end of the strip mall, Aim” 2 Please Catering Service, Greenport Fire Chief John Onufrychuk Jr. said.
The business had closed for the day, but a cutting board was accidentally left on the stove. The cutting boars caught fire and spread to some towels, Onufrychuk said.
The sprinklers in that area of the kitchen activated and extinguished the fire, but not before smoke began to spread through the building, Onufrychuk said.
About 30 people that work in neighboring businesses were evacuated while crews worked.
Firefighters worked to remove the heavy smoke from the building and shut off the sprinkler system.
Building maintenance from Fairview Plaza, Town of Greenport building inspector and Columbia County Health Department were all requested to the scene.
Aim” 2 Please Catering announced on its website that they would not be offering take-out this week because of the fire.
Greenport Rescue Squad and Greenport Police assisted firefighters.
All firefighters were back in service at 6:25 p.m.