CLERMONT — A clogged wood furnace chimney was the cause of a Clermont house filling with smoke Friday night, Clermont Fire Chief Collin Brown said Monday.

At about 8:29 p.m. Clermont Fire Company was sent by Columbia County 911 to 1115 Route 8, after a report that a house was filling with smoke.

When fire officials arrived at the home, they reported a smoke condition in the house and immediately requested mutual-aid assistance from Germantown Fire Company.

Firefighters traced the smoke to an indoor wood furnace in the basement that was backed up due to a chimney clogged with soot and other debris, Brown said.

Firefighters removed the fire from the furnace and removed the chimney pipe from the home before ventilating the structure, Brown said.

The family, who had evacuated the home before firefighters arrived, was able to continue living at the residence. There were no reported injuries, Brown said.

Clermont fire officials suggest all residents get their wood stove chimneys cleaned.

Route 8 was down to one lane of alternating traffic while crews worked.

Assisting at the fire scene were Northern Dutchess Paramedics and the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office.

All fire companies were back in service at 9:32 p.m.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.