HUDSON — City police requested a large law enforcement presence Sunday night at a candlelight vigil for Terrell Starr, 18, of Stottville, who died Saturday night after he was shot in Hudson, Police Chief L. Edward L. Moore said Monday.

Moore originally called the incident Sunday night a “riot,” but he acknowledged Monday “that may have been a poor choice of words.”

Mayor Kamal Johnson knew both of Saturday night’s shooting victims personally, he said Monday in a statement on his Facebook page.

“No parent should have to bury their child. As a community we cannot have any more violence in our city. Our community will need this time to heal and mourn a young, talented individual who was human and made mistakes,” Johnson said.

“We need to intervene and put aside meaningless arguments and debates. We need to improve our city for everyone to have a chance. Our citizens, businesses, not-for-profits, elected officials, myself included. We need to work harder at paving the way for our young people to live and thrive.”

An estimated crowd of 200 people filled Promenade Hill Park for the vigil, Moore said.

Emotions were running high and there was a medical emergency in the crowd when Hudson officers requested assistance, according to Moore.

Close to two dozen police officers arrived on the scene and began dispersing the crowd, Moore said.

Police received no reports of injuries and there have been no arrests, Moore said. After police broke up the crowd, around 50 or so from the vigil remained, scattered along Front Street.

Hudson remains under a state executive order banning mass gatherings, Moore said. Organizers could have been charged, Moore added, but no arrests were made.

Starr was pronounced dead Saturday night in the emergency room of Columbia Memorial Hospital, where he was taken after being shot in a parking lot at Hudson Terrace Apartments on Front Street, according to police.

Starr and an unidentified 30-year-old Albany man, were brought to Columbia Memorial in private vehicles with multiple gunshot wounds after the 11 p.m. shooting in the parking lot of Building 1 at the apartment complex, Moore said.

The 30-year-old man was airlifted to Albany Medical Center, where he was listed in critical condition Monday, police said.

Several vehicles were struck by bullets in the incident, but there were no other reports of injuries Saturday night, Moore said.

Hudson police detectives are investigating the possibility that this incident is connected to a drive-by shooting on North Second Street on May 2 and the arrest of Starr on March 28 for firing a handgun in Cherry Alley, police said.

Moore had no comment on the weapons used in Saturday night’s shooting, except to say that it is part of the investigation.

There are indications that several other people were involved in the exchange of gunfire that night, but that is also under investigation, Moore said.

The investigation into Saturday night’s shooting is being conducted by the Hudson Police Department, State Police at Livingston and the State Police Troop K Major Crimes Unit. Anyone with information is asked to call Hudson police at 518-828-3388.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.