LIVINGSTON — A fire in a mobile home Wednesday left a Livingston family temporarily homeless, said Livingston Fire Chief Paul Jahns IV.

Livingston firefighters were sent by Columbia County 911 to 23 Spruce Street in the Maple Lane Mobile Home Park at about 7:58 p.m., after a female caller reported her kitchen was on fire, Jahns said.

Arriving firefighters said the roof of the home was on fire and immediately requested mutual aid assistance from neighboring fire companies, Jahns said.

Clermont firefighters responded with a tanker and interior firefighters responded from Germantown and Greenport fire companies, Jahns said.

The fire originated on the stove when flames from a wok shot up into the stove vent and set the area between the ceiling and the roof on fire, Jahns said.

Firefighters cut holes in the roof to ventilate the home and gain access to the fire that was burning between the celling and roof, Jahns said.

Everyone got out of the home safely before firefighters arrived, and no injuries were reported, Jahns said.

The family is staying temporarily with relatives, Jahns said.

The home sustained fire damage to the kitchen, with smoke and water damage throughout, Jahns said. A new roof will have to be put on the structure.

Assisting at the fire scene were Northern Dutchess Paramedics, state police, the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office and the Columbia County Fire Coordinator’s Office.

Taghkanic Fire Company stood-by at the Livingston No. 1 firehouse and set up a reserve water supply.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.