MELLENVILLE — Six Columbia County fire companies responded to a Mellenville home Thursday afternoon after fire broke out in the kitchen, Mellenville Fire Chief Michael Layman said.

The Mellenville Task Force was sent by Columbia County 911 to 57 County Route 9 at about 3:50 p.m. for an indoor smoke investigation.

Arriving firefighters reported there was a fire in the home and requested all available manpower to the scene, Layman said.

One resident, an elderly man, was at home when the fire broke out, Layman said. He was able to get out of the house, but was evaluated by Greenport Rescue Squad as a precaution.

The fire, which began on the stove, spread to part of the kitchen before firefighters put it out, Layman said.

The home was ventilated and was checked to make sure the fire hadn’t spread, Layman said.

County Route 9 was closed between Mellenville Square and Carpenter Road while crews worked.

Companies assisting Mellenville were Philmont, Claverack, Greenport, West Ghent and Churchtown. The Columbia County Fire Coordinator’s Office and Columbia County Sheriff’s Office also assisted.

All companies were back in service at 4:30 p.m.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.