Chatham apartment building evacuated

Firefighters were at 25 Hudson Avenue Monday evening after smoke filled the building. Photo courtesy of Chatham Fire Department

CHATHAM — Residents from 10 units of a Chatham apartment building were evacuated Monday evening after a tenant began burning papers in their kitchen oven, Chatham Fire Chief Eric Barnes said.

The first firefighters to arrive on the scene reported smoke throughout the second and third floors of the building, Barnes said.

The smoke was coming from apartment No. 10, Barnes said. Firefighters checked to make sure the fire was out, and then began to ventilate the three-story structure at 25 Hudson Ave.

At about 7:11 p.m., Columbia County 911 sent five fire companies to the scene. Once fire officials determined there was no fire, the four mutual-aid companies were released.

The unidentified tenant intentionally started the miscellaneous papers on fire, but they had no intent to do any damage to property, Barnes said.

There were no reported injuries, Barnes said.

Several code violations were also found in the building. The Ghent town building inspector was requested to the scene.

Fire departments that were dispatched to assist Chatham were Ghent, East Chatham, Valatie and Niverville.

Chatham Rescue Squad, state police and the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office assisted at the scene.

All firefighters were back in service at 8:30 p.m.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.