CANAAN — The Canaan Task Force was dispatched Thursday morning to a chimney fire in Canaan, authorities said.
A caller reported that she could see flames coming from a chimney at 9 O’Grady Road around 7:30 a.m., according to Columbia County 911.
Fire companies from Canaan, Red Rock, East Chatham and New Lebanon were all requested to respond with tankers and to stand by at the area of the pond on County Route 5, according to authorities.
Canaan fire officials also requested additional interior firefighters to respond directly to the scene, according to authorities.
Arriving units reported that the flames were out, but firefighters went to work checking to make sure that the fire did not spread into the structure of the home, according to fire officials.
The flames that the caller saw were generated by creosote burning at the top of the chimney, according to Karen O’Grady, who lives at the residence.
Canaan fire officials declared the fire out and cleared the scene around 8:30 a.m. No injuries were reported, fire officials said.
Chatham Rescue, Columbia County Sheriff’s Office and Canaan town highway crews were also on the scene.
Creosote is the leading cause of chimney fires, according to fire officials. They recommend that homeowners clean their wood-stove chimneys once a month to prevent creosote buildup.