CATSKILL — The Greene County Historical Society announces the unveiling and dedication of a new history marker at 1 p.m. June 8 to commemorate Catskill’s recently restored pedestrian bridge over Catskill Creek.
Rehabilitation and restoration of the bridge was accomplished with grant funds awarded to the village of Catskill, and was officially reopened to pedestrian traffic in 2017 with considerable fanfare.
The bridge, which is nearing 140 years old, was once part of a narrow-gauge railroad originally constructed to shuttle passengers from the steamboat dock at Catskill Point to the famed Catskill Mountain House located at Pine Orchard on South Mountain.
The bridge has served as a pedestrian thoroughfare since 1918, and continues to serve as a vital connection between the east and west sides of the village of Catskill.
The marker being unveiled on June 8 was funded by a generous grant from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation.
Since 2005 the William G. Pomeroy Foundation has worked with historians across New York state and beyond to fund the creation of informative and permanent roadside markers detailing rich local and regional history.
The foundation makes these grants available to municipalities and all 501(c)3 organizations as a tool to foster curiosity, drive tourism, and educate the public broadly on regional history topics dating between 1740 and 1919.
The Greene County Historical Society was pleased to be awarded this grant by the Pomeroy Foundation, as it aids the organization in its mission to educate the public on the history and heritage of Greene County.
At the turn of the 20th century tourism was the premier seasonal industry in Greene County, and very little remains today of the infrastructure that attracted and transported thousands of annual visitors to Greene County’s portion of the northern Catskills.
The pedestrian bridge in Catskill is one of the last remaining vestiges of this golden age, and over a million summer visitors travelled across that bridge on their way to local hotels and boarding houses over the course of the bridge’s 35-year service bearing locomotives across Catskill Creek.
The Greene County Historical Society is indebted to the village of Catskill for preserving this piece of history, and GCHS’s effort to commemorate the bridge’s history would not have been possible without the support of the William G. Pomeroy Foundation. The unveiling and dedication will be held at the east side of the pedestrian bridge, immediately adjacent to Crossroads Brewing Company, located at 201 Water St., Catskill.