Skip to main content

InStinfil was shot in the back, ADA says

  • Empty
    Lance Wheeler for Columbia-Greene MediaMohammed Morshed faced a second-degree murder charge in Columbia County Court on Wednesday.
  • Empty
    Lance Wheeler for Columbia-Greene MediaAssistant District Attorney Ryan Carty is prosecuting the murder case against Mohammed Morshed. Carty gave an opening statement in the trial Wednesday.
June 12, 2019 05:46 pm Updated: June 13, 2019 03:17 pm

HUDSON — More details came to light Wednesday as to what happened the night Inderly Instinfil was shot and killed at a home on Fairview Avenue as part of the murder trial of Mohammed Morshed in Columbia County Court.

Morshed, 28, of Hudson, is accused of killing the Philmont teen on June 17, 2018. Morshed has been charged with second-degree murder, a class A-1 felony.

“The evidence will show that Morshed shot his victim in the back,” Assistant District Attorney Ryan Carty said. “He pulled that trigger and shot him.”

In his opening statement, Carty told the jurors to pay close attention to where the alleged murder weapon was found in the home. Police have said the weapon, a .40-caliber handgun, was found hidden in the basement.

InStinfil’s last words were, “Don’t point that [the gun] at me again,” Carty said. InStinfil and Morshed were strangers to each other until that night, Carty said.

A fight began on the street on a sidewalk, and that is when Morshed pulled the gun out of his back pocket and waved it in front of InStinfil and his friend, Ronaldo Coyote, Carty said. Coyote and his family lived in the apartment above Morshed’s at 20 Fairview Ave., where police said the shooting took place.

Morshed and InStinfil ran up to Morshed’s home and multiple witnesses heard a gunshot almost immediately after Morshed reached his own front door.

In his opening statement, defense attorney Justin DeArmas said he planned to show there is more to the picture than what jurors heard from the prosecution’s account of the case.

DeArmas said the shooting was in self-defense. Morshed was outnumbered 2-1, confronted inside his home and threatened by InStinfil with a crowbar, DeArmas said to the jurors in his opening statement.

“There are no questions on Earth that this [the crowbar] is a dangerous instrument,” DeArmas said.

DeArmas pointed out that the argument was possibly about rent and money. Morshed’s parents owned the building and the tenants, Coyote’s parents, were behind on their rent.

InStinfil was set to graduate from Hudson High School and had a job in the kitchen at Pine Haven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Philmont, his mother, Rose, said on the witness stand.

Rose also testified that her son, on the night he died, was going to 20 Fairview Ave. to drop off $200 to Morshed’s neighbor, who lives in the upstairs apartment. The neighbor was a friend of Rose’s from their church. The money was to be put into a collection toward a new car.

To reach reporter Amanda Purcell, call 518-828-1616 ext. 2500, or send an email to, or tweet to @amandajpurcell.