CATSKILL — An undetermined number of people are safe after a fire broke out at a village home late Thursday, fire officials said.
Fire departments from Columbia and Greene counties responded to a blaze at 228 Water St. just before 9 p.m.
The fire started on the top floor of the three-story, multi-family home, according to the Catskill Fire Department. People were home when the fire broke out, but all escaped safely.
Fire officials did not know the cause of the blaze Thursday night. The Greene County Fire Investigation Team will investigate, according to the Catskill Fire Department.
Flames shot from the roof of the Water Street residence as emergency personnel attempted to get the blaze under control.
Firefighters were hampered by frigid temperatures, which were a continuation of Thursday’s snow, gusty winds and dangerously cold conditions.
While fighting the flames, firefighters were forced to return to their firetrucks every few minutes to warm up their freezing air packs. A slick sheet of ice covered the street as water from hoses soaked the ground surrounding the burning home.
The walls of the house, which is located near the intersection of Water and Main streets, were charred.
Over a dozen agencies responded to the scene, including Catskill, Hudson, Kiskatom, Leeds, Athens, West Athens Lime Street and the Medway Grapeville fire departments. The Greene County Hazmat Team provided heating tents for first responders.
Check back for more details on this developing story.
Kate Lisa contributed to this story.