Skip to main content

Fire damages Chatham home

  • Empty
    A family of four was temporarily forced from their home after an electrical fire Thursday.
  • Empty
    A fire at 7 Harmon Heights in Chatham on Thursday was caused by an electrical wiring failure, according to fire officials.
  • Empty
    No one was injured in a fire that damaged a home at 7 Harmon Heights in Chatham on Thursday.
July 12, 2018 11:35 pm

CHATHAM – A family of four was temporarily forced out of their home after an electrical fire Thursday, according to Chatham firefighters.

The family, living at 7 Harmon Heights, was awakened by smoke at about 4:13 a.m. and called 911, according to Chatham firefighters.

The two adults and two children made it out of the home safely, Chatham Second Assistant Chief Eric Barnes said.

The fire was caused by electrical wiring failure, according to Chatham fire officials.

Quick action by firefighters contained the fire to the wall.

“Upon arrival, we had heavy smoke showing from the structure,” Barnes said. “Fire was located in a while on the front of the house. Crews worked quickly to contain it to the wall.”

A village building inspector was on the scene and determined power to the building had to be temporarily cut off, Barnes said.

The house sustained minor smoke damage, according to Chatham firefighters.

“All of our volunteers from our entire task force responded quickly and worked well together,” First Assistant Chief John Howe said. “They are highly trained and worked well as a team. The fire was contained to a wall and knocked down quickly.”

The two-story home had working smoke detectors, Barnes said.

Firefighters left the scene by 5:45 a.m.