HRS_Purcell_Kinderhook Fire

HRS_Purcell_Kinderhook Fire

MWC
Submitted by Amanda Purcell Columbia-Greene Media on Thu, 08/16/2018 - 06:05 pm

Family displaced after Kinderhook fire

KINDERHOOK — A couple was displaced after a fire heavily damaged their attic Wednesday night.

Emergency personnel responded to the blaze at 10 Sanders Lane at about 9:18 p.m.

The fire was caused by an electrical issue, Niverville Fire Chief Tim Stever said.

Neighbors alerted the couple inside the home about the fire after seeing flames from the roof. They was able to escape without injury, Stever said, adding no pets were inside the home at the time.

The couple is temporarily displaced, Stever said.

When firefighters arrived, smoke and fire was in the attic of the single-story bungalow-style house, but firefighters from eight departments acted quickly and extinguished the blaze within 25 minutes, Stever said.

“Due to the heat of summer and the limited space within the attic, we had many firefighters rotating into that limited space to find hot spots under insulation,” according to a statement from the Niverville Fire Department. “Many thanks to the officers and firefighters who performed in a difficult location and under heated, stressful conditions.”

Much of the damage was contained to the attic, although the home sustained water damage throughout the first floor, Stever said.

The Niverville, Valatie, Kinderhook, Chatham, Claverack, North Chatham, Stuyvesant and East Chatham fire departments assisted at the scene. The Valatie Rescue Squad and New York State Police responded.

To reach reporter Amanda Purcell, call 518-828-1616 ext. 2500, or send an email to apurcell@thedailymail.net, or tweet to @amandajpurcell.