GREENPORT― A movie theater with a new twist had its first showing Monday night.
Cosmic Cinema, a movie theater, restaurant and bar combo located at 160 Fairview Ave., opened its doors to patrons Monday with 7 p.m. showings of “Widows,” “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” and “Instant Family.”
Admission is $9 for adults and $7 for children ages 3-17 and senior citizens over 65. Children under 3 years old will not be admitted.
“We’re happy to be here,” owner Terrell Braly said.
Braly first became aware of the opportunity when driving by the former Fairview Cinema 3 on its last day of business, he said. The Fairview closed in April 2017 after 44 years in business.
“There was a restaurant right next door to the theater, which was really helpful,” Braly said, referring to Angela’s Pizza & Pasta, which closed in January after 25 years.
Braly invested more than $1 million in the property for renovations and equipment to transform it into his vision, he said.
The theater was originally scheduled to open in May and then again in October.
Braly declined to comment Monday on the cause for the delays.
The cinema will offer patrons a new experience by serving more than just a concession stand of refreshments — Cosmic’s menu includes salads, wings, pizzas and desserts.
“We have a full bar, milkshakes with real ice cream, Orville Redenbacher popcorn with real butter,” he said. “Our menu will expand depending on local wants and desires.”
The venue encourages guests to arrive 30 to 45 minutes before showtime to enjoy the theater’s dinner service, Braly said.
“If they want to have service during the show, they have to put up a flag,” he said. “The servers will not be interrupting the show. They’re trained to be silent ninjas.”
About 80 percent of orders arrive before the show, Braly said and the other 20 percent are often drink or popcorn refills.
“The servers will bring out checks 30 to 45 minutes before the end of the show,” he said.
Greenport’s theater will offer traditional daily showtimes at 1, 4, 7 and 10 p.m.
“We’re open seven days a week, 365 days a year,” Braly said. “On Tuesdays, all tickets will be $5.”
Braly plans to start having 10 a.m. matinees on weekends closer to the holiday season.
“With big premieres, we will have midnight showings,” he said.
Local officials have reacted favorably to the new business.
“I am always open to new suggestion and trying something new,” Greenport Town Councilman Guy Apicella said in October. “Let’s give it a try and see how it works.”
“I think it is such a cool idea — dinner and a movie combined,” Greenport Town Supervisor Kathleen Leck Eldridge said in October. “I wonder if this will cut down on the awkwardness on first dates for some people. I am really excited about it and it’s a really neat idea.”
Braly has masterminded similar enterprises across the country.
Braly was the founder, CEO and chairman of Cinebarre — a blend of cinema, bar and restaurant. Cinnebare is a joint business enterprise Braly established in 2007 with Regal Entertainment Group — the nation’s largest movie theater chain.
Braly is also CEO of Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas and its franchise company. He has developed nine Alamo locations and eight Cinebarre locations in the United States.
More Cosmic Cinemas are set to open in Albany at the former Madison Theater, Pennsylvania and North and South Carolina.